The old Microsoft dominated autocracy is not the stronghold anymore and free open-source alternatives like those of Libre Office have become feature rich enough to replace the expensive Microsoft’s products. While Linux users enjoy this transition, for Windows PC users, this can come as an annoyance. LibreOffice Viewer For PC is a huge download and install in case you just want to view the files. Libre Office Viewer for Android is what you would be looking for, for such a purpose. But alas! It is no Android which doesn’t play well with Windows. However, not all hope is lost.
Read More: Dead Trigger 2 for PC (Windows 7/8/XP)
What Is Libre Office Viewer?
Libre Office itself is a completely free and open-source alternative to Microsoft Office with similar tooling and set of features. However, being open-source, the Libre Office group decided on its own document formats (without relying on Microsoft’s) and created the Open Document Foundation – which manages the format specifications. Microsoft’s Office suite can however open some of these files but it fails to maintain the proper indentations and formatting. This is exactly where Libre Office Viewer becomes a handy tool for Windows Users.
What Can It Do?
For starters, Libre Office Viewer can open any kind of Libre Office formats such as .ODT, .ODP, .ODS, .OTS, .OTT, and .OTP. But it doesn’t stop there and goes beyond that i.e. it also supports Microsoft Office’s file formats as well such as .DOCX, .PPTX, .XLSX, .DOTX, .XLTX, .PPSX and older Office formats such as .DOC, .PPS, .PPT, .XLS and .DOT. While currently in beta it is fairly stable and usable, future updates will bring interactive document elements, browsing support for SD cards and many other features.
So how to get it up and running on your Windows PC?
Running It On Windows PC
Windows as such cannot run Android applications. Hence, you need a software that will execute the Android applications on Windows. Bluestacks comes to the rescue! Bluestacks is an Android emulator that can run Android applications and can also access Google playstore and lets you install apps like LibreOffice Viewer For PC from there. Here is how you set the whole process in motion.
Read More: Fruit Ninja for PC (Windows 7/8/XP)
- Download the latest version of Bluestack for Windows from here!
- Once installation completes, you are asked to set your preferences where you select your default language and enter your Google account credentials.
- Once your credentials are verified, your Play store account is created.
- Now go to the home screen and on the top bar, type “Libre Office Viewer” and search for it.
- Once it shows, click on it and it takes you to the play store page.
- Click on the “Install” button.
- After installation finishes, come back to home and you can see the Libre Office Viewer icon. Click on the icon to launch the application!
- To open the Libre Office files, simply drag and drop them in the Bluestacks windows and it will prompt you to open with Libre Office Viewer.
- Accept the prompt and now you can view the files!
With these simple steps and a Bluestacks installation, the task becomes trivial in nature.